Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Less than a week...

Yeep. It always sneaks up on me. Less than a week to go until November. I am absolutely chomping at the bit to get started, and also dreading that moment 15 minutes into next month when I realize that all the notes I've taken and thoughts I've had are not going to amount to 50,000 words, or something of any substance.... Though, this year I've done more prep work than any year prior, so maybe I'm learning.

Also, looking forward to that moment that happens about 4 or 5 days in when the inner editor's voice is finally successfully shut off and I'm able to put words down no matter what I think of their relative quality.

This year, going to be using Google Docs to write this thing. The acquisition of a laptop (well, this trusty-ish Asus netbook) is going to make writing easier for sure, especially during slow shifts at Morseland. Docs seems to work well enough, even if it runs a bit slowly. Only thing I'm not psyched about is the lack of a running word count display in the status bar. But doing the whole 'cloud computing' thing will make it easier to deal with writing in different locations and on different computers...

So -- we might actually have a setting for this thing now. We're starting off late in our hero's life. He contemplates all that he's done, all that he's accomplished, and the world is falling apart around him. It's verging on an early-1900s post-apocalypse.... But is it all in his mind?

Yes, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment