Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back in the Saddle

1734 words today, back in the good graces of the Nano gods. So, this year we have the biggest ever day (4300 words) and the smallest ever day (246...at least, I'm assuming that's the smallest ever day, further research required.) Nothing really monumental to speak of today, which is surprising, considering the fact that today he actually invented the Dewey Decimal System.... Finding the flashbacks to be easier now to write than the present stuff, opposite of how things were last week. Used to be more excited about this 1930s-ish post-apocalypse, but have no idea what to really do with it. Also, the Asus is making annoying clicking noises as I type on it now. Son of a....

"You were right," Dot says.
"Of course I was," Decimal replies.
"What do you mean, of course you were?" Dot asks, incredulous. "There were so many things about which you were wrong."
"Like what?"
"Like the dot painting shit. The dot currency experiment. The dot weaponry." Dot enumerates the items on his fingers. He searches his memory for more examples. "I could go on."
"All of those were your ideas," Decimal says.
"That can't be possible. I remember...."
"Yes? What do you remember?"
"I'm not sure. But, we were partners, weren't we?"
"Still are partners, so it seems."
"Yes, once and future partners, we. So the failures are shared."
"But the success was not."
"How can you say that? Your name is in the title of the system we developed."
"Nobody knows who I am. You don't know who I am. I don't even know who I am."
"You're Jonathan Decimal, facilitator, synergizer, catalyst for change."
Decimal smiles wanly. "Yes, I am those things. And those things are indeed me. But where do I go when the sun goes down?"
"Where do you go when the -- what are you talking about?"
"Have you ever stopped to think that maybe I'm just a figment of your imagination?"
"Now you've truly gone off the deep end. If you're a figment of my imagination, then -- " Dot trails off, blinks his eyes and looks about himself wildly, for Decimal had disappeared. "Jonathan? Jonathan, where the hell did you go?"

No comments:

Post a Comment