Friday, November 6, 2009

Getting Tense

So, I'm writing this thing in two different tenses -- the "modern" stuff is all in present tense. Actions are happening, shit's going down. The flashbacky stuff is all in past tense. It's in the past. It's done.

But I keep having to go back and change the flashbacky stuff to past tense stuff because I slip into present tense stuff, and it's really starting to tick me off. I think I naturally like writing in present tense. I think if we went back and looked at my old stuff, a good majority would be written in present tense. I like present tense. Past tense is weak. Present tense brings you into the action (if there is any). Present tense is watching a movie, seeing this happen. Past tense is like, "Hey, if you give a crap, something happened yesterday or twenty years ago or whenever."

I wrote a short story for my senior English class, that, if I remember correctly, was about an emergency in Hell, where all the damned were rising up and taking over and Satan was in a tizzy and had to call God for help or something along those lines. Anyhow, it was all written in present tense and one of the first changes my teacher made me do was to change it to past tense. And, yeah, I did it, because I wanted a better grade and everything, but I'm thinking, "This hasn't hapepned yet."....

Um. Anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment